Dear brothers and sisters in Christ,
Still, this is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it!
1. The coming week: On Saturday morning,. we will have the first of our four Soul Saturday liturgies, remembering and commemorating the reposed. That will begin at 9:30 a.m. That evening at 5:00 p.m. we will serve Great Vespers.
Sunday is the third of four preparatory Sundays for Great Lent, and is the Sunday of the Last Judgment. There is a common theme to all of these Sundays. In them, the Church calls us to prepare spiritually for Holy Lent, to acknowledge to ourselves our sins and failings. This is not done to cause us to drown in guilt, but to be honest with ourselves about our spiritual life. Jesus' first message was "Repent!", and that remains our message, especially during Lent.
On Wednesday evening, we will serve a moleben for the sick and the suffering at 6:00 p.m.
2. Meatfare - This Sunday is also meatfare, meaning that after Sunday we will not eat meet until Pascha on April 28. If you need to talk about fasting during this season, and especially how it relates to your individual circumstances, talk to me. On the plus side, aside from meat, there is no fasting of any kind next week, and we can eat all the fish and dairy that we wish.
3. Forgiveness Sunday - The Sunday after this one is Forgiveness Sunday, and is also the day before Great Lent begins. If you have been at St. Nicholas for a while, you know that I consider it as one of the most important Sundays of the church year. Please begin to search yourself, asking "have I offended or hurt anyone" and the flip side of the coin, asking "Do I bear a grudge or resentment against anyone". On Forgiveness Sunday, we need to resolve to both seek forgiveness and to give it to others.
4. Sunday school - You have heard that the Cannaverdes are offering Sunday school to all of our children, occurring after Liturgy each Sunday. They are great teachers with a great love of children, and I urge you to bring your children to Liturgy, and for Sunday school.
5. God willing, I will have a complete schedule of our services during Great Lent available at the Church on Sunday.
6. Last Sunday we had 37! Were you there?
I look forward to seeing you all this weekend!